Celebrating 4.20.2020 with LeafLinkCommunity • April 20, 2020
4.20 is the biggest cannabis holiday of the year, and this year, it's also a SUPER 4.20.
Happy 4.20! Today marks the biggest cannabis holiday of the year. This year is also a SUPER 4.20 — when the clock strikes 4:20 PM, it will be 4:20 on 4.20 in the year 2020.
To celebrate, we decided to take a look back at the past four 4.20’s at LeafLink.
The 4.20 Rush Starts on 3.20
While 4.20 marks the year’s biggest day for cannabis consumers, data from the last four years suggests that the wholesale rush starts a month earlier — on 3.20.:
- In 2017, sales increased by 34.7% month-over-month in the month leading up to 4.20, compared to 17% growth during the previous month
- 2018 saw similar growth, with sales jumping 34.8% from 3.20 to 4.20, compared to 13.9% growth from 2.20 to 3.20
- 2019 once again saw an increase of 19.8% from 3.20 to 4.20, versus 1% growth during the previous month despite not expanding into new markets
- Due to COVID-19, a stock-up event occurred during the week of 3/16 (31.94%+ from 3/9), causing wholesale orders to slow at the end of March. By the start of April, though, retailers began stocking up again during the weeks of 4/6 and 4/13 (17.59%+ and 13.74%+) in preparation for the holiday
Top Products for 4.20
Is one product more popular than others for 4.20? Here’s a breakdown of which products retailers ordered the most during the month leading up to 4.20 over the past four years.:
- In 2017, Edibles were the most popular product with 59% market share
- Cartridges were 2018’s top product with 31% market share
- In 2019, Cartridges were on top again with 32% market share
- This year, Flower has been the top product, claiming 30% market share during the past month. Cartridges are a close second with 28%
Cannabis Industry Growth
Since 4.20.17, the cannabis industry has grown and evolved — and so has LeafLink! Here’s a look back at how much wholesale cannabis has expanded over the past four years.:
- On 4.20.17, LeafLink was in four markets: Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and Colorado
- As of 4.20.18, the marketplace had expanded to Arizona and California, bringing our total reach to six states
- By 4.20.19, LeafLink had grown to 21 markets, including Michigan, Puerto Rico, and Alaska
- Over the past year, LeafLink expanded internationally. As of today, 4.20.20, we are live in 25 territories across the US and Canada, including Illinois and Saskatchewan
Growing with the Industry
We’re thankful to celebrate this super 4.20 with our brand and retail partners, and continue to drive growth in the cannabis industry.
We can’t wait to see what next 4.20 brings!